Tuesday, 2 February 2010

The Atmosphere Was Electric.....

Here's a question for you.


If you saw an electrical appliance....let's say it was a hairdryer.......whose plug looked like this:







.....and you had just finished washing your hair, so it is not beyond the realms of possibility that your hands may be slightly wet.........would you blithely pick it up and plug it in?




a) Yes


or


b) No




You know what's coming don't you?




The Singer answered 'A'. Then there was a bit of a squeal.......


Anyway, amid shouts of 'Oh dear God' and 'Run it under the tap!' the Father of This Lot was summoned from the Mare and Foal to unplug the offending item. There followed the usual diatribe of '....don't know what sort of kids you're bringing up here....' and the various other pearls of wisdom in much the same vein which he airs on every conceivable occasion. The hairdryer was duly fixed and the Father of This Lot was waved off at the door before he could cause any further verbal damage.


Personally, I keep well away from hairdryers. I never got over that business with Valerie Barlow. It left a mark on my childhood psyche which remains to this day.


Anyway, thankfully, The Singer appears none the worse for her adventure apart from the tiniest little blister on her thumb.

Well I think it's tiny. She's carrying on as though it was a third degree burn.


Someone remarked to me this morning after Mass that she had been 'very lucky'.


Huh.


Luck doesn't come into it, mate.


With this lot, I find that being on your knees for upwards of sixteen hours a day invoking the protection of the Almighty is the key. And that's the method I intend to stick with.


And since she does seem to have escaped unharmed and is back to her usual hair-tossing self, I just couldn't resist this witty little graphic........





7 comments:

Miss Ellen E. said...

Oh dear, I remember Valerie Barlow - was it really 1971?! Worse still, I remember Albert Tatlock! :-)

Thumbelina said...

Well she certainly fits the bill for "conductor".
I'm not sure what sort of bill FoTL fits but I'm working on it.

Kitty said...

Gosh, she was indeed lucky. My dad drummed into me that water and electricity must never be anywhere near one another, and I have tried to do it with my two as well. Glad she's ok. x

Akelamalu said...

Firstly my answer would have been NO.

Second she was lucky.

Third I remember Valerie Barlow and the hairdryer very well - hence my No answer!

Hilary said...

Did she have a burn mark on her foot as well? My youngest (accident prone wasn't in it) stuck her finger in a socket and the hospital siad she only survived because the current had gone out at her feet, presumably missing the vital bits - though I'm still unsure about her brain......

Working Mum said...

Don't know what they're teaching them in school nowadays, mixing water and electricity, tsk tsk! :)

Amrita said...

Oh dear reading this is such a comfort, now I know i am normal.This like these happen around here