Wednesday 27 February 2008

Murder, She Blogged



Calm down, all of you. It's not the Father of This Lot. (Although if anything suspicious did ever happen to him, I imagine I would be the prime suspect, having threatened it so many times).



No, it's a puzzle. Something to get your brains going while I am out at yet another Parents Evening. Actually, that's something to bear in mind if you're thinking of having a lot of children. Once they are all at school, you will be attending a Parents Evening every other week.


Here's the puzzle:

A man was found murdered one Sunday morning.
His wife immediately called the police.
The police questioned the wife and staff and were given these alibis:


The wife claimed she was in bed reading a book
The cook claimed she was cooking the breakfast
The gardener claimed he was planting seeds
The maid claimed she was collecting the mail
The butler claimed he was polishing the silver

The police instantly arrested the murderer.
Whodunnit, and how did they know?

I'll see you later!

22 comments:

Cath said...

It was the maid. It is Sunday. There is no mail to collect on Sunday.

(Accreditation to my husband, reluctantly, as I was considering the wife, thinking 'if it was me....')

;0)

Autumn said...

Darn, someone beat me to it. I also say it was the maid as there is no mail on Sunday!
And.. the wife must have paid her because who has time to lay in bed and read a book on Sunday morning!

Lizzy in the Burbs said...

Funny! I guess I won't bother guessing anymore (and then I don't have to admit that I was wrong, either!) HA!

Lizzy

Beth Cotell said...

Rats! My answer has already been guessed...the maid...no mail on Sunday.

Do we win something?? ;)

david mcmahon said...

Er, um, they had ESP?

Or they had Hercule Poirot in their midst!

Jennie said...

YAY I got it, but you have to take my word for it because other people have guessed before and commented (but I didn't peek, na huh!).
I feel a proper Miss Marple.

Casdok said...

I thought the maid to, but maybe its to obviouse?

Anonymous said...

Oh :(
I was going to say the maid, because there's no mail on a Sunday...but I was beaten to it. (Well done, sleuths!)
Although, in January, we were getting mail delivered on Sundays because there was such a back log from Christmas- true!
Which make sme wonder...maybe it wasn't the maid at all....

Carolyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carolyn said...

Ooops. Typo. Try again... there are some flowers for you at my blog...

Renae said...

Well, the obvious answer is the maid. But, what if they were all out or busy on Saturday, and she was just picking up the mail from the day before? I have been guilty of that . . .

Katney said...

No mail on Sunday! I knew it before I came and saw the first comment.

Maude Lynn said...

The maid!

Anon said...

Well, I think it's too obvious to be the maid so will say the wife, 'cause she gets the blame for everything anyway....



Btw, as one of my last five commenters, I tagged you. Sorry!

Maggie May said...

Well as usual, I'm too late! All I can say that they are all so lucky to have maids & butlers & things!

ArchAngel's Advocate said...

As any murder/myster fan knows, "the butler did it". LOL

Mrs. Fox said...

Aren't we all clever?! :)

Liz Harrell said...

This makes me want to rewatch Clue! :)

Daryl said...

Mail on Sunday? I think not. It was the Maid for sure

Kitty said...

Hi - I found your blog after Jennie at 'Falling Down The Rabbit Hole' plugged it.

I've had a great time reading through your posts - keep up the good work.

:-) x

PS. Surely if the man's dead, his 'wife' is now his 'widow'? This is probably not relevant, but just illustrates how laterally my mind works.

Swearing Mother said...

Of yes, there is a Mail on Sunday, I've just put it out in the recycling bin along with The Sunday Times.

the rotten correspondent said...

Darn it! I missed this. What a FUN idea!!